McLaurin Heights United Methodist Church logo

About Us

Our History

McLaurin Heights United Methodist Church began in the winter of 1959 under the leadership of Rev. Art O'Neal, pastor of Flowood Methodist Church. It began with fifteen families and a tent. One service was held under this tent on January 24, 1960. The next day the tent collapsed due to a heavy snow. Later these first members purchased a residence and met there until December 1, 1960 when the first official opening worship service was held at the church's current location.

Due to increasing membership other structures were added as needed. In the autumn of 1992 a new sanctuary was begun and completed in August of the next year. In February of 2005 this current sanctuary was paid off and a dedication service was held.

McLaurin Heights UMC represents a step in faith that fulfills a dream began by our church's forefathers and continued by so many members and pastors over the years.

ArrowIcon BloggerIcon AimIcon DeliciousIcon PaperIcon EtsyIcon FacebookIcon FilmStripIcon FlickrIcon CameraIcon LaunchIcon GooglePlus2Icon GooglePlusIcon HeartIcon InformationIcon InstagramIcon LastfmIcon FrontCameraIcon LinkedInIcon EmailIcon MoneyIcon ItunesIcon MyspaceIcon OpenTableIcon PayPalIcon PencilIcon PersonIcon PhotoIcon PicasaIcon PinterestIcon PodcastIcon RssIcon ShoppingCartIcon SoundCloudIcon StarIcon TableProjectIcon TheCityIcon TumblrIcon Twitter2Icon TwitterIcon TypepadIcon VideoIcon VimeoIcon WordPressIcon YelpIcon YoutubeIcon